I know just how the bomb squad feels...

Emmett hasn't been napping well this week. And it's not because he doesn't need it. One night when David got home, he sat down on the couch with Emmett. Emmett got up, turned around, and then threw a fit because daddy was "in his spot." It's a relief, actually, to be so certain that David knows what I sometimes go through. After no nap at all, he still managed to put up a decent fight at bedtime.

On Wednesday, I realized that I've actually been sick for a few days. I thought I felt lousy just from the lack of sleep and fights about it.

Yesterday, I decided if he's not going to sleep in the afternoon, I might as well run some errands. For two hours I tried to tire him out as we walked around the mall. I took the long way home and he fell asleep in the car. I decided to brave the risk of bringing him in the house.

At this point, I was feeling genuine fear. The stakes were high (my sanity). He stirred a little, but put his sweaty head down on my shoulder and I headed for the house. The dogs danced around as I went down the hallway, but Emmett did not wake up. I put him in his bed. He stirred again and looked at me, turned his head to the side and closed his eyes. Whew!

Epilogue, I hope
Today has been much better. I think my cold is going away. I came up with a new plan to get him to play by himself and it's working. I've been setting a timer for 15 minutes, after which I'll read him a few stories or we'll play. I've also been making very specific suggestions of what he can do with his time while I work on resurrecting the house.

For the first time in a long time, he's spent some time playing more than two feet from me. And so far, he hasn't once tried to stand between me and the kitchen sink while I do dishes. I didn't try to put him down for a nap until he practically asked for one. And it went just fine. Now if he'll only go to sleep tonight without fighting...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 8, 2024

Thanks, Emmett.

A Short Eclipse Video