Emmett and Luke

Luke lost his umbilical cord yesterday. That was day 9 for those of you who aren't counting along at home. Emmett didn't lose his until he was about three weeks old. I only mention it as a measure of just how much bigger Emmett's feeding tube was in utero.

In the middle of the night a few days ago, Luke was awake when I wanted to be asleep. He wasn't fussy, just awake and he'd fuss if I turned off the light. So after trying to keep my eyes open for a while, I held him at my side where he could look at my face and I went to sleep with the light on. This was enough to keep him happy, because the next time I woke up he was asleep and I turned off the light.

Things are going well with Luke. He no longer wakes up at night wanting to play, though he is sometimes surprisingly resistant to nursing, choosing instead to wail for a while before eating. He has several hour+ waking cycles each day, so we use that time to "play." We play staring games, mimic games (ok, this is pretty much me mimicking his face at this point), and games where Emmett and I move his arms and legs around. Very exciting stuff. (oxytocin is a powerful thing)

Emmett is amazing. He has been very understanding about me needing to nurse Luke a lot, and he really enjoys holding his brother. Other than perhaps some increased irritability, he hasn't showed any bad behavior since the arrival of his sibling. I am very proud of him. This afternoon, I managed to put Luke down in his bassinet for a nap while Emmett and I made cupcakes. It's nice to have a little window into what normal life might be like with two kids, and to see that perhaps Emmett won't be totally getting the shaft in this deal. Emmett thinks the baby monitor is very cool, and wanted to go check on Luke several times even though we were making cupcakes in the kitchen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 8, 2024

Thanks, Emmett.

A Short Eclipse Video