Spanish Immersion

Today Emmett and I visited the Spanish Immersion school. Emmett had a pretty good time - I sat in the lobby and he decided to stay for the whole class. He came out upset once, and came out just to see me once (he was happy). Both times he said "I'm done. I'm just done." but went back to the class with only gentle encouragement. I think being suddenly immersed in a foreign language is hard work.

Afterwards he reported liking the singing, and that he was confused a lot of the time. I reassured him that was normal, and it would get better over time as he learns to speak Spanish. As it turns out, there is no need to start at semester breaks, so we're going back tomorrow. He'll attend for the next couple of weeks before the Christmas break, and then we'll pick up again in January.

From what I observed today, it is a pretty intensive program. The teacher interacts with and prompts the kids to talk all day long. When the kids speak properly, the teacher gives them little blue tokens that they can use at the end of the day to "buy" treats - tootsie rolls, little toys, etc. Emmett loves tootsie rolls, so you can guess what he thinks about this part of class!

I'm just glad there's a nice waiting room available with comfy couches, because I'll be spending a lot of time there in the coming days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 8, 2024

Thanks, Emmett.

A Short Eclipse Video