On Food and Cooking

Cakes are tough to bake at altitude. We had a little birthday party for Emmett last night with he neighbors. Even with an altitude-adjusted cake recipe from The Joy of Cooking, the cake was still a bit strange. It was very fragile and crumbled when I tried to move a piece to a plate. Fortunately it tasted great. Emmett's idea of strawberries in the filling of a chocolate cake was a good one, as was Rebecca's suggestion of adding strawberry flavor to the whipped cream for the filling. (Rebecca is my cake consultant.)

Clearly, I need some practice with cakes up here before I'll get a recipe I really like. My birthday is the next one coming up, so at breakfast today, I wondered aloud what kind of cake I'd make for my birthday. David said, "Maybe I should make a cake for your birthday." Emmett laughed a hearty laugh, as though David had told a joke. "But dad," he said, "You don't know how to cook!" We quickly pointed out that mom does the cooking because she's home to do it, not because dad can't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 8, 2024

Thanks, Emmett.

A Short Eclipse Video