Push me on swings!

That's how it usually starts, with Luke demanding "Push me on swings!" Emmett is always up for getting pushed on the swings, so I spend a lot of time out back pushing the boys on the swings. I'm lucky the swingset has shade most of the day!

Once on Mythbusters, they tested whether it was possible to make a playground swing do a complete 360 degree circle around the bar. I stared counting pushes like this: "One... Two... Three Sixty!" I push a little harder each time and Emmett loves it, squealing and laughing. Luke demands the same treatment, but I don't push him quite as high.

Emmett has a friend who swings very high and jumps right off. He hits the ground with a thud like a sack of bricks, but jumps right up to do it again. Emmett wants to jump off too but he's sane, so he's started practicing from much lower. I wonder how high he'll go?

Lately Luke has started throwing his head back while swinging. Well, he threw his head back once or twice and then thought better of it. I can tell he's thinking about it, though because he cautiously looks up. Today, he decided to cross his legs while on the swings. I'm not sure why, but he crossed his legs and said, "Look at me!" Then Emmett copied Luke for once!

Comments

jozenne said…
I don't know how high Emmett will go at age 5. But I don't know about the sanity factor. I think at about maybe 5th/6th grade - age 11 -- we used to go to Sunnyglen and launch ourselves off the swings. We started low and short but increased our distance incrementally over many days of practice, and eventually we could fly all the way across the sandbox and had to be careful to avoid hitting other equipment.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks, Emmett.