Brighttime and other made up words

I don't know what language is being spoken around my house, but it isn't English.

Luke has invented "Brighttime," basically a synonym for "morning." When he wakes up before the sun is up, I tell him it's still dark so it's still night, and he should go back to sleep. It works sometimes! Once the sun is up, I'll invite him to come snuggle with me, saying "Look, it's light outside, so you can come snuggle." I think this is where "brighttime" comes from. Now anytime it's light outside in the morning, he'll tell me to get up because it's "brighttime!"

Emmett is much more prolific with the nonsense words. Here's a typical exchange:
Me: "Emmett, would you like a snack?"
Emmett: "Glub!"

Emmett also invents "games" that feature his nonsense words. For example, he'll start waving his arms up and down in front of him, saying, "This is a hitter-ditter" repeatedly in a robotic voice. Then he'll walk towards Luke with the implication that Luke will be hit by the "hitter-ditter" if he doesn't run away. Luke seems to like this game - he runs away squealing, and Emmett follows him slowly without really making an effort to catch him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 8, 2024

Thanks, Emmett.

Birthday Weekends: Highly recommended!!!!