Santa trouble

Tonight Luke came into the kitchen with a very worried look on his face, and asked how Santa would get into the house. I told him it was magic, and that generally people think he comes down the chimney, and asked if he had any worries about that. He wanted to know how Santa got on the roof, so I told him about flying reindeer, and more magic. He wandered out of the kitchen, saying he just didn't want to see it. I assured him that Santa only comes when everyone is asleep, and continued on to say that Santa brings presents, and it's not something to worry about, it's nice!

He returned with a quivering lip and started to cry, so I scooped him up and carried him to the rocking chair. I spilled the beans on Santa, telling him that it's just a game that grown-ups play with kids because it's fun. No one would come into the house, and mommies and daddies put the presents under the tree. He looked genuinely surprised and relieved, and smiled big. We read "The Night Before Christmas" at bedtime, and Luke didn't have any problems with it. I think I'll still be able to talk about Santa bringing presents etc, but I'll certainly keep an eye on how Luke is responding to it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks, Emmett.