Relativity

In piano lessons, Emmett has learned to play an accompaniment part for Amazing Grace in several keys, and one version (in C) that uses 7th chords. Practicing today, I asked him to pick a version to play. He wanted to play in the key of D, but with the 7th chords, so I said, "Go for it."

Though he has these pieces pretty well memorized, but struggled a bit to figure out exactly where to put in the 7th chords. I don't remember exactly what I said trying to help, but he answered with, "But it's in D, so G is A!" It took me a beat to figure out what he was saying - that is not how my brain naturally works. When I told David the story, he didn't really understand what the point was, because that is exactly how his brain works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 8, 2024

Thanks, Emmett.