Come Home Faster

My next door neighbor and I have been swapping kid duty for 30 minutes at a time on weekday mornings so we can both exercise in an empty house. It's been working out great, with the added bonus that Henry (just 2) has gotten used to being at her house without me. He loves playing with Lily (6-9 months older than him), and having Emmett and Luke around surely helps , not to mention that my neighbor is great with kids.

He's gone over in the afternoon a few times, sometimes when I'm home, and sometimes when I need to run an errand, for as long as 90 minutes or so.

Today I went to a FIRST LEGO League meeting at the University of Utah. I'd communicated with some of the people on the committee by e-mail, but really wanted to check things out in person. I was a little nervous - Henry would be next door for about 3 hours. It all turned out fine - when I got home he was a little clingy for a half-hour or so, but he wasn't upset (visibly) while I was gone.

While we got ready for bed, I asked him about what he did at Lily's house - pushed dolls in the strollers (yes), bounced on the trampoline (yes), rode scooters (no), etc. Then I asked him if the time I was gone was ok, or if it would have been better if I had come home faster. Henry's words are hard to understand right now, but he came over and said to me in the clearest voice I've ever heard, "come home faster."

Comments

Suji said…
Aww, sweet guy. He's really brave plus, your neighbor must be something wonderful. We had awful separation anxiety issues at that age. Hope the FLL meeting went well. Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks, Emmett.